[Orca-users] consensus on gcc version to build orca r528 snapshot

Tankersley, Jon jon.tankersley at eds.com
Fri Apr 14 15:06:24 PDT 2006

Is this a build with the Solaris-provided Perl or with a 'private' copy?
I've had NO problems with a private copy.  But that has its own
maintenance headache.
This has been true with our use of other Perl modules... DB modules with
MySQL, Oracle, etc.  We've had more luck with a private copy.

The Solaris-provided copies tend to have some hard to match options.
Maybe the problem should be pushed to Sun and the maker of the
sunfreeware Perl.
That won't help anyone with Solaris 2.6 without Forte or the like.

One thing to note... This really isn't a Sun-only issue.  Many of the
vendor-provided builds of Perl are difficult to work with.