[Orca-users] copying Orca files by hand

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Mon Aug 14 09:10:55 PDT 2006

Glen Gunselman wrote:
> Although I received confirmation that this message made it to the
> list, I don't see it in the archives and have not received any
> replies, so I'm reposting.

Received both.

> Our process to copy the Orca files broke down this week.  I need to
> copy the files by hand until I get the automated process going again.
> I believe the process broke down just after 10:40 on Aug. 7.  Can I
> copy the (.bz2) Aug. 7th file and then delete the old Aug. 7th file to
> clean up that day?

Given the differences in file sizes, I would bunzip them and combine
them manually for that day, or else you risk losing data.  The leftmost
column I believe will be the timestamp for the line of data -- I believe
if you bunzip both files, you will probably find that the server-side
file is a subset of the client-side file, so you may be able to just
replace the server-side file with the client-side file without the need
for manually combining the data.  But definitely examine the contents to
be sure.  Note that any one data file should only have one header line,
so if you need to combine the files, make sure the resultant file has
only one header line.

> Will copying the files for Aug. 8th onward and then signaling orca
> with HUP bring the plots up todate?

Yes.  Hmm, though if HUP doesn't work, just stop Orca, and restart it.

> I did not (nor have I ever) installed Orca.  I'm just trying to pick
> up the pieces and get it going again.

Seems like your pieces are in relatively good order, save for that one day.

Cheers,
--Dave "Dragon" Michaels