[Orca-users] Vertical marker in plots

Thaddaus Rasmussen thadras at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 12:10:29 PDT 2006

I can see how integrating with the data streams (by that you mean the RRDs
right?) would be difficult. Having a separate RRD to store the vrule
timestamps may be useful, but having the comments would be nice.

I am using Orca for monitoring several load test machines and I'm hoping to
put in a VRULE whenever I change/modify the load test for a specific client
PC.  I am hoping to use it as a way to annotate the graphs for easier
analysis. Theris one approach that I have been trying to investigate to get
this to work how I would like.

1.  Modifying the Orca::ImageFile::_update_graph_options subroutine to
accept arguments for pushing a VRULE option statement onto the @options
2.  Using a signal  to Orca (possibly adding to HUP) that will open a brief
user dialog to select a client from the list of available subgroups (These
are the client machines, if I am not mistaken, right?).  Then the dialog
would prompt for a comment string.  Then, by means of #1, the selected
subgroup will then have its @options array updated with the time the signal
occurred and the entered comment.

However, my Perl programming knowledge is limited and I am not sure if the
@options array is identical for all subgroups, or can it be distinct to each
subgroup?  Is there is feedback on a feasible approach?

Thanks,

Thad