[Orca-users] Old data / parsed data

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Tue Sep 11 14:28:50 PDT 2007

Francisco Mauro Puente wrote:
> The v490 is a 4 US-IV 1350MHZ, 16GB RAM, which is also running two
> Informix databases, a development machine.

I assume you have orcallator data from that box from before you started
/ will start running Orca on it directly?  It would be nice, as it would
serve as a good "before" snapshot of performance, so you can see what
kind of overhead Orca is causing.

> Yes, I agree with you, scp'ng ALL  the files at the same time is
> killing the disk, I'll transfer the last day or 2 only.

That'll work nicely.  But do consider rdist, or better, rsync, if you
can get it installed -- rsync supports ssh, and has a lot more options.

> I'm also migrating one single v240 onto a two new  clustered X4100,
> maybe I can re-use the v240 for Orca to run. I have around  25 servers
> now running orcallator, but I'll include around 100 production servers
> more. Since you had also a v240, how many servers ran you on that one
> before moving onto the v440 ?

Actually, it was a v210.  Rather less beefy than a v240.

dmichael at server <~><29> prtdiag
System Configuration: Sun Microsystems  sun4u Sun Fire V210
System clock frequency: 167 MHZ
Memory size: 512MB

==================================== CPUs
====================================
               E$          CPU                    CPU     Temperature
CPU  Freq      Size        Implementation         Mask    Die   Amb.
Status      Location
---  --------  ----------  ---------------------  -----   ----  ----
------      --------
0    1002 MHz  1MB         SUNW,UltraSPARC-IIIi     2.4     -     -
online      MB/P0

>  Just to share the experience....
>
> # du -sk * | sort -rn | awk ' { print $1,"server" }'
>
> 070156 rrd
> 589392 server
> 574164 server
> 471332 server
> [....]

That rrd size looks wrong.

But many of those other sizes look ridiculous.  Check this out
(directories contain data for the past 3 years)

dmichael at server <var/orca><35> du -sk AIXorcallator/* orcallator/*
winallator/* | sort -rn
151012  orcallator/server1
86294   winallator/server2
75757   winallator/server3
75195   winallator/server4
71223   winallator/server5
69066   winallator/server6
68696   winallator/server7
64436   winallator/server8
58977   winallator/server9
55454   winallator/server10
55338   winallator/server11
51568   orcallator/server12
51016   winallator/server13
45548   orcallator/server14
44607   winallator/server15
44348   winallator/server16
43296   winallator/server17
[...147 total servers...]
[...2.5 GB total space...]

For the rest of the list:  Francisco and I have been working in a
private thread to address some of his problems.  Will post a summary
here when we figure it all out.

Cheers,
--Dragon