[Orca-users] Orca and AIX

Angelo McComis angelo at mccomis.com
Wed Sep 3 13:04:17 PDT 2008

Hello,

I'm new on the list, so if this is already covered somewhere, please feel
free to redirect me to the appropriate links instead of typing a lengthy
reply.

I'm looking to use Orca within my pSeries environment to get per-frame stats
rather than at the individual LPAR level.

The problem I'm looking to solve is that, for example: Let's say I have a
pSeries frame with 64 total CPUs. I have 10 LPARs with 6 CPUs but all 10 can
have up to 8 CPUs. Obviously all 10 cannot have 8 CPUs each at the exact
same time.  I would be looking for a graph (let's say scale of 1-100) with a
solid line at my max CPU available in the frame (e.g. 64), and a
stacked/filled area graph representing the usage of the 10 LPARs within that
space. If/When the graph flatlines at 64, I know I'm overcommitted, and know
which LPAR needs to move to have more room.

Any direction at all on this is greatly appreciated.

Angelo