[Orca-users] Kernel Contention and TCP/IP Stack metrics

David Michaels dragon at raytheon.com
Tue May 19 10:41:23 PDT 2009

Boyda, Thomas (7 Delta) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can someone point me to the documentation what values are used to measure kernel contention and TCP/IP stack information plotted on the "System Overview" page?

 From the 'Orcallator.se' link on the Orca Documentation
<http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs.html> page, scroll down to
"Orcallator.se Measured Values" and click System Overview, which will
take you here:
http://www.orcaware.com/orca/docs/orcallator.html#system_overview

> *ALL* of my system including systems where I have nothing but system processes running are all showing Kernel Contention with a value of 1. All of these systems are either Solaris 9 or Solaris 10 using the latest orcallator script (r535) with RICHPse-3.5.0 package.
> As for the TCP/IP stack values they are showing 1 or above on most of those systems, some of those systems are not active, except for my ssh sessions and scp of orca data to the collection host.

That's fine.  It's only when the value gets over 1 that it's worth
looking at, and anything over 2 is indicative of a performance issue you
probably want to address, if possible.

The Overview values are interpreted numbers based on Adrian Cockroft's
algorithms, designed to make it quick and easy to spot performance
bottlenecks on a live system.  See the link above for more detail.  He
wrote Sun Performance and Tuning
<http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Performance-Tuning-Java-Internet/dp/0130952494>
(aka, the "racecar book"), which while old still has good principles.

--
--Dragon
"draco nemo omnibus horis sapit"