[Svnmerge] svnmerge.py -V option

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Oct 5 10:08:43 PDT 2005

A couple of comments on the -V option.

At work, if people use svnmerge.py, then they should always be using the '-f
msg.txt -V' options because we have an automatic log parser for generating
release notes and without all the log messages merged into that one message, it
doesn't work.

I think a good default behavior for svnmerge.py should always to leave a log
message there, say 'svnmerge-commit-message.txt' as this is a good practice to
include this in a commit message.  People can always ignore it if they want to,
but it'll be there for them to use to make the commit easier.

I would also suggest that the log message be generated as if -V were used. If
people want to delete that information, they can load the file in an editor and
quickly chop off all but the top two or three lines.  We can also add a command
line option to make the options shorter.

Also, I need to do automatic parsing of the log messages generated by the -V
command line option. Currently, the separator is of the from

r12345 (author)

I'd like to change this to something a little easier to parse for a person to
see where a new revision starts.

How about changing it to

------ r12345 (author)

or

------
r12345 (author)

or something?  When somebody runs svn log by hand, they should see the long
'-'*70 for the separator for real revisions, so we shouldn't use that.  But
something more distinguishable than what we have now would be nice.

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
<blair at orcaware.com>
Subversion and Orca training and consulting
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/