[Svnmerge] svnmerge.py -V option

Giovanni Bajo rasky at develer.com
Wed Oct 5 10:49:49 PDT 2005

Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:

> I think a good default behavior for svnmerge.py should always to leave a
log
> message there, say 'svnmerge-commit-message.txt' as this is a good
practice
> to include this in a commit message.  People can always ignore it if they
> want to, but it'll be there for them to use to make the commit easier.
>
> I would also suggest that the log message be generated as if -V were used.
> If people want to delete that information, they can load the file in an
> editor and quickly chop off all but the top two or three lines.  We can
> also add a command line option to make the options shorter.

Both makes a lot sense. I prefer having good defaults than thousands of
command line options. I'm +1 on generating a verbose commit file with a
default name, and keeping -f to change the name. I can easily implement it.
Archie?

> Also, I need to do automatic parsing of the log messages generated by
the -V
> command line option. Currently, the separator is of the from
>
> r12345 (author)
>
> I'd like to change this to something a little easier to parse for a person
> to see where a new revision starts.

Right. I don't have a good suggestion for the syntax at the moment. I'll
think of it.
I believe the syntax should support recursion somehow. What if you merge a
revision which was itself a merge?
--
Giovanni Bajo