[Svnmerge] [RFC] Pipes as iterators / multiple pipes

Madan U Sreenivasan madan at collab.net
Wed May 17 12:08:15 PDT 2006

On Wed, 17 May 2006 14:05:17 +0530, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it's been a while I have been thinking of modifying launchsvn() so that
> it
> returns an opened pipe, instead of running the program and catching the
> whole
> output at once.

Cool idea. am reviewing the patch, but have given my first cut of
observerations here.

> This can have a couple of benefits:
>
> - It provides a way to parallelize operations and thus gaining speed
> benefits
> when the SVN connection time is the bottleneck. For instance, the
> attached
> patch constructs the commit log message by running numerous parallel
> "svn log"
> processes to get the error message, and the gain in speed is enormous.

I didn't understand this. Could you explain a little bit in detail pl.

Especially the part about running numerous parallel 'svn log' commands. My
immd worry is about the load it will add on the server. Some servers might
misinterpret this as a DOS attack too.

[snip]

> I have attached a preliminar patch to this mail. Right now, I have just
> added a
> new launchsvn_pipe and used it in a few places. If there's agreement
> that this
> is the way to go, I'll complete the patch.

Am not able to comment on the approach right now... sorry.

there are few things to improve though (am sure you already know these)

variable names : i,j,L can be replaced with more meaningful names
odd whitespaces that cause unnecessary diff lines
Tabs in Pipe.next()

Just my 2 cents worth.

Regards,
Madan.