[Svnmerge] all-URL merges

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Wed Nov 1 15:30:22 PST 2006

O.Coleman wrote:
> We're considering moving to subversion from Clearcase, but one of the gripes
> will certainly be that people miss the nice GUI pictures of merge history.  Has
> anyone made such a GUI tool?  It seems like it should be possible, given what
> Tortoise has done with their Revision Graph.

Yes, that would be nice to have.

> Also, from my reading and playing with svnmerge for a bit, it seems you can't
> do a merge between 2 URL's -- you must have a working copy as a destination.  I
> realize that the limitation is within the spirit of "let the user checkin the
> changes in the end", but this seems like a downside for our release engineering
> team to conveniently take changes automatically once they've been approved.
> Have I missed something?

This isn't a svnmerge.py thing, all merges in Subversion require you to merge
into a working copy and then commit it.

For automatically take changes, I typically have a working copy just for mering
things into, and a separate set of working copies for doing active development.

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/