[Svnmerge] revision lists

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Thu Nov 23 13:10:54 PST 2006

On Nov 23, 2006, at 1:02 PM, Konstantin Sobolev wrote:

> Hi Blair,
>
> On 11/23/06, Blair Zajac <blair at orcaware.com> wrote:
>>> svn info "svn://xxx/trunk/java"
>>> svn log --quiet -r1:56023 "svn://xxx/trunk/java"
>>> aborted by user
>>>
>>> It tries to get full repository log which is very large in our case.
>>>
>>> So, my first question is, why to analyze all revisions if it is
>>> known
>>> that branch was split off only at rev. 55921 ?
>>
>> Hello Konstantin,
>>
>> There's something wrong with your setup if svnmerge.py is checking
>> for all the revisions from 1 to 56,023.  It should check only for the
>> non-merged revisions.
>
> We have a branch split from trunk at rev. 55921. At the moment when
> I've tried to use svnmerge there already were several commits both in
> the branch and in the trunk.

When you say commits on the branch, do you mean merges from trunk?

> I've switched to the branch:
> svn switch svn://xxx/branches/release_2006_11/java
>
> Then tried to init:
> kos at kos ~/work/sw2/java $ svnmerge.py init
> svnmerge: no copyfrom info available. Explicit head argument
> (-S/--head) required.

You don't normally put a merge tracking at a level below the branch.
I would recommend using init at the branches/release_2006_11 level
instead.

> This was confusing because 'svnmerge.py help init' doesn't mention
> -S/--head switch. However the following command was successfull:
>
> kos at kos ~/work/sw2/java $ svnmerge.py init svn://xxx/trunk/java  -r
> 0-55921
> property 'svnmerge-integrated' set on '.'
>
> Which I assume means to ignore 0-55921 revisions.
> The rest you have seen in my original post.
> I feel that I did something wrong, but I don't understand what was
> it..

If you're initing on a branch that was copied from the source of the
branch, trunk in this case, you don't need to supply the -r command
line option to init, even if there are commits.  If there are merges,
then you can still init and then merge with the --record-only option.

Maybe it's the 0, and try using a 1 instead?  If you look any
existing merge tracking information, it starts at 1 and not 0.