[Svnmerge] Problems with manual changes during merge

Hernan Martinez Foffani hernan.martinez at ecc.es
Mon Feb 12 05:21:00 PST 2007

> My question is, i'm trying to find a way to do merge from trunk to
> branch and back while avoiding fault conflicts.
> The scenario is: Changing a line in a file on Trunk --> Merge it to a
> branch --> add manual change in branch and commit. Then trying to
> merge the new revision back to trunk.

I'd commit inmmediatly after the merge, with the comment generated
by svnmerge.py.  It goes like this (output may differ a bit):

  trunkdir> edit file.
  trunkdir> svn commit
  In revision 3333.

  trunkdir> cd ../branch_1
  branch_1> svnmerge.py avail -b
  3333

  branch_1> svnmerge.py merge -b
  ...etc... etc.

  branch_1> svn status
  M .
  M file

  branch_1> svn commit -F svnmerge-integrated.txt
  M .
  M file
  Sending files ..
  Commit to revision 3334

  branch_1>

Unless I've get a conflit right after the merge
or some tests don't pass or get some other problem
I always commit the merge changeset alone.

Now you can edit file in the branch and the changes you
make in branch_1 will be tracked by svnmerge.

> My expectation is to get trivial a merge (without conflict)
>
> 1. While trying to run "svnmerge merge --bidirectional -S b_name" - I
> got no avail revisions for merge at all.

In the example before svnmerge doesn't report revision 3334 as a
missing changeset because it's a merge itself.

Regards,
-H.