[Svnmerge] Bugs when merging revisions that modify and deletefiles

Jack Repenning jrepenning at collab.net
Wed Jan 10 11:15:58 PST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 10:22 AM, Giovanni Bajo wrote:

> I meant "I'm not sure *I* understand" of course :)

Could go either way! ;-)

> I'm not sure you understand. Are you suggesting to keep a bug
> because having a bug make the users more comfortable with the tool? :)

Well ... I wouldn't have put it that way ...

> Is there something *really* risky about using "svn merge --force"?
> I can't think of any, especially for clean working copies (like
> those required by svnmerge.py to operate).

Well, "especially for clean wc's" is of course an added assumption,
something additional that the users would have to learn, and hence a
source of surprises for the uninitiated.

The risk is that the behavior with "--force" is silent, while the
behavior without it does announce itself.  Some people really *want*
to review the output line-by-line, and they want that easy-to-miss
"skipping" message because the no-message-at-all case is even easier
to "miss."

-==-
Jack Repenning
Director, Software Product Architecture