[Svnmerge] Bugs when merging revisions that modify and deletefiles

Jack Repenning jrepenning at collab.net
Wed Jan 10 13:19:41 PST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Karsten Sperling wrote:

> I wouldn't call those changes "mutually invalidating".

Fair enough; I wasn't happy about the word, either; improvements
welcome! ;-)

> Assume 2 changes
> (1) change file F and (2) delete F. If you merge both changes in a
> single svn merge invocation, you will end up with file F deleted as
> expected. However if you call svn merge (without --force) for each
> change separately , merge (1) will work as expected, but merge (2)
> will
> skip the deletion. Adding --force makes the 2-step merge behave
> like the
> combined merge. This is important for svnmerge.py because it assumes
> that it can merge or split revision ranges across svn merge
> invocations.

There are other things that "svn merge --force" changes.  I do not
have this catalog in my head, much less necessarily would any
arbitrary user of svnmerge.py.  A little caution in such
circumstances seems excusable, don't you think?

But enough: I had meant my remark to be in the "-0" realm, "I'm not
happy with it, but I'm not going to make a stink about it."  This
discussion's already gone longer, perhaps, than the objection was
intended to justify.  Carry on, carry on, don't mind me.

-==-
Jack Repenning
Director, Software Product Architecture
CollabNet, Inc.