[Svnmerge] problems with added files

Jack Repenning jrepenning at collab.net
Thu Jan 4 14:26:12 PST 2007

On Jan 4, 2007, at 1:29 PM, Daniel Rall wrote:

> I think we could detect this info via the same 'svn status' call used
> to scan the WC for local mods.  A warning might be better than a hard
> error for this case, however.

What does "warning" mean?   That is, what state would be left
behind?  Would the colliding unversioned object/directory still be
present in this WC?  That would constitute a partial failure of the
merge operation.  I'm with Blair: this is a failure, and one line
buried among thousands just is not enough notice; the model of
conflicts during update seems proper (where 'svn status' shows the
state, and commits are inhibited until you fix or acknowledge the
problem).

At the least, a user choice such as a command-line switch to force,
fail, or ask seems warranted.

-==-
Jack Repenning
Director, Software Product Architecture