[Svnmerge] Lost in Properties

Thomas F. O'Connell tf at o.ptimized.com
Wed Mar 7 09:45:14 PST 2007

On Mar 6, 2007, at 10:58 PM, Raman Gupta wrote:

> Thomas F. O'Connell wrote:
>> I'll check out the patch. In the meantime, I'll go ahead and be more
>> specific about the commands since it's easy, and I just ran them.
>> Here's
>> what happened:
>>
>> I had just merged several changes from branches/branch-2 to trunk. I
>> typically do all my merges as:
>>
>> svnmerge.py merge -S $MODIFIED_BRANCH -b
>>
>> Now I wanted to merge from the trunk to branches/branch-1.
>>
>> cd branches/branch-1
>> svnmerge.py merge -S $TRUNK -b
>>
>> When I tried svn ci at this point, I got the warning about the
>> conflict.
>
> I just tried to reproduce this and was unable to. Could you provide a
> reproduction recipe? You could also print the output of "svn pl
> --verbose $URL" for the head of each branch, and trunk.
>
> Cheers,
> Raman Gupta

Raman,

Some background about my setup is in this thread:

http://www.orcaware.com/pipermail/svnmerge/2007-January/000807.html

I never satisfactorily resolved the issue from that thread. I'm
worried about data loss that would affect my ability to keep track of
changes local to any given branch, but I'm also worried about getting
into a state of conflict that is beyond my ability to resolve, which
is my current concern.

Here is the use case I'm trying to achieve. If there are better
practices out there that use svnmerge.py, then I'm all ears.

trunk
branches/branch-1
branches/branch-2
branches/branch-n

With the style of development for this project, each of the branches
is typically a major feature branch, all of the changes of which
eventually need to land on trunk. But trunk needs to be left in a
state from which releases can easily be created. Most minor bug fixes
are performed directly on trunk. Often, features from the branches
will land on trunk and then be enhanced in the same branch. And it's
nice for branch-x to pick up the changes that landed on trunk from
branch-y.

But I came into this process with the original svnmerge (the Bourne
shell edition). I upgraded to svnmerge.py based on community
recommendations. I've used it successfully in the above scenario thus
far without error until now, although when I started, rather than
using -b for svnmerge.py avail and svnmerge.py merge, I was manually
leaving out a lot of the svnmerge-related revisions. This might've
contributed to my current problem.

Honestly, I'd like to wind up resetting everything based on the trunk
and possibly re-initializing all branches, but I'm not even sure
about the safest way to do this. I've got some changes in the branch
currently exhibiting the problem that I don't want to lose revision
history for.

If I can provide any specific information about my setup, please let
me know, and I'll be happy to do so.

--
Thomas F. O'Connell

optimizing modern web applications
: for search engines, for usability, and for performance :

http://o.ptimized.com/
615-260-0005