[Svnmerge] Your confirmation is required to join the Svnmerge mailing list

Jon Schewe jpschewe at mtu.net
Sat Nov 17 06:00:09 PST 2007

I don't believe this is type of merging is supported by svnmerge.  One
can only merge between a trunk and a branch.  If one merges between the
branches as well and then from both branches back to the truck, svnmerge
can't track it.

Antonio Maenza wrote:
> I am new to svn merge, and used it successfully for one release
> iteration of the product I work on. I am using the windows exe version.
>
> We have a structure set up as:
>
> svn\project\trunk
> svn\project\branches
> svn\project\tags
>

> Previously, I had svnmerge initialized on the trunk and on the
> branches\release branch and was able to view the revision differences
> between both branches, and merge changes from the release branch and
> the trunk back and forth between the two as needed.
>
> We have since released the release branch code, and I tagged it and
> deleted it so that I could create a new release branch for our next
> release. Prior to deletion, I uninitialized both the trunk and the
> release branch. I have now re-initialized the trunk and the new
> branch, but am unsure of how to have multiple branches monitoring each
> other, or if it is possible.
>
> I now have the following 3 sources i want to work with:
> svn\project\trunk
> svn\project\branches\Release
> svn\project\branches\11-12-07_Release
>
> I need the ability to do the following  (arrows indicating merge
> directions)
> trunk <-->Release
> trunk <-->11-12-07_Release
> Release <-->11-12-07_Release
>
> Release is the slated next release while the 11-12-07_Release is a
> release we have already done and is a branch cut from a tag. There are
> a few release bugs that need attention and a re-release done, and
> fixes need to be both merged into the trunk and the release branch.
>
> Technically, a structure like:
> trunk <-->Release
> Release <-->11-12-07_Release
>
> would also work, as I can just merge backwards to the trunk from each
> branch, however I am still unsure how to make that structure work
> properly.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> Tony

Jon Schewe | http://mtu.net/~jpschewe
If you see an attachment named signature.asc, this is my digital
signature.
See http://www.gnupg.org for more information.