[Svnmerge] svnmerge not merging files that were added to trunk

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Nov 30 12:11:38 PST 2007

Roberto Mello wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been using svnmerge for a while now with no problems. Thanks for
> the fantastic tool. I've been using the version from trunk os of a
> month or so ago (not sure as there's no indication of revision in the
> source?). Things were going well.
>
> However, yesterday I performed a merge as usual, with --bidirectional.
> I didn't notice it, but it merged revisions that it had already merged
> previously, and, most troubling, files that were added to the trunk
> were not added to the branch (my release branch). svnmerge, in its
> commit message, says the revisions where the files were added _were_
> merged, but the files never appeared in the branch.

Did you do a merge into the branch, do a revert, then do another merge?  The
revert will leave files in the wc, but the second merge will ignore files
already sitting there, so you can end up with missing files in the second merge.

> So my questions are:
>
> 1) Has anyone seen this before?

In the scenario I described above, yes.

> 2) Is this a known bug in a version of the svnmerge trunk? Should I
> use the stable version instead?

You should use the version in trunk, it's the best version.

> 3) Suggestions for how to fix it? If I manually merge the files so
> they appear in the branch, what should I do with svnmerge so it keeps
> track of those files from then on?

svnmerge.py should check for skipped files or at least for a perfectly clean
working copy before merging.

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/