[Svnmerge] How does SVN handle merging renamed / moved files from "branches"

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 5 05:56:53 PST 2008

Hi,

Please forgive my incorrect terminology.  I am a CVS user and looking into
SVN.  One of the things that I find extremely lacking in CVS is the ability
to move and rename files.  Although CVS has some support for file rename, it
provides no support for merging renamed files from a branch.

I appologize if this is not the right place to ask this, but I figure a
merge list would be the right place.  I'm trying to understand how SVN
handles the case when a file is renamed or moved in a revision (or CVS
equivalent to a branch) and then merged back into it's parent rev (or in
CVS, the trunk or its parent branch).  Will the renamed/moved file be
carried through the merge?  ie: post-merge, which filename will appear - the
original one or the renamed/moved one?  Is there any "warning" given to the
user that such a rename/move has occured during the merge?

Thanks for the information!  If I should be posting this question elsewhere,
please let me know.

Thanks,

Eric