[Svnmerge] Encoding problem in svnmerge commit message file

Romulo A. Ceccon romuloceccon at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 06:02:40 PST 2008

Hi, Raman.

On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Raman Gupta <rocketraman at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>  I spoke to Daniel Shahaf on #svn, and I got a slightly better
>  understanding of svn behavior related to LC_ALL and commit log messages.
>
>  The attached patch is a slightly modified version of Romulo's that,
>  allows svnmerge.py and svn to use the locale set by the user's
>  environment, instead of trying to use the 'C' locale.
>
>  Could everyone (especially people in non-english locations) test it
>  and verify it works in their environment?

On my Windows XP SP2 all test-cases pass with the "complete" patch,
but testCommitMessageEncoding fails with the "simple" patch (as
expected). I also tried them on a Ubuntu 6.06 LTS setup, and *both*
pass all test-cases. Thanks, Raman.

I should say that I'm not very confident about the
testCommitMessageEncoding test-case, since it uses the same technique
as svnmerge.py to find the console and text-file encodings. So if, for
example, sys.stdout.encoding returned a completely wrong encoding, the
test-case would still pass, although the user of svnmerge.py would get
misencoded log messages. I don't know how the test-case could be
enhanced, though, because svnmerge.py needs to make a guess about
svn's behavior, but testCommitMessageEncoding cannot test without also
making a guess.

Regards,
Romulo