[Svnmerge] Encoding problem in svnmerge commit message file

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 20 16:14:15 PST 2008

Raman Gupta wrote:
> Romulo A. Ceccon wrote:
>> On my Windows XP SP2 all test-cases pass with the "complete" patch,
>> but testCommitMessageEncoding fails with the "simple" patch (as
>> expected). I also tried them on a Ubuntu 6.06 LTS setup, and *both*
>> pass all test-cases. Thanks, Raman.
>
> Interesting... so on Windows XP SP2, svn or python or both are losing
> the "default" encoding information somewhere. I think. You don't have
> log-encoding set in your config file do you? See below.

Sorry, never mind this statement... it goes back to your original
message/problem -- Windows uses a different encoding for command line
vs. file, whereas modern Linux machines use UTF-8 for everything. That
explains why the "complete" patch is needed on Windows but the simple
patch works on Linux.

Cheers,
Raman