[Svnmerge] Trouble understanding why there is nothing to merge

Margo K kosicki_margo at emc.com
Wed Feb 27 09:24:34 PST 2008

I've got two branches that are children of another branch.  When I try and
merge the parent to each of these branches it indicated that there is
nothing to merge, but I know there's something to merge.  I thought I
understood how the svnmerge script works, but now I'm a bit confused, so
I'll just describe the setup, and hopefully I've gathered enough info for
someone to explain this to me.

trunk
    Branch1 - child of trunk created @ rev 2445
        Branch1A - child of Branch1 created @ rev 2581
        Branch1B - child of Branch1 created @ rev 2479

Merge History
All the merges were done using svnmerge with the -b option

    Branch1
        2748 - merge from the trunk
        2791 - merge from the trunk
        2846 - merge from Branch1B
        2865 - merge from Branch1B
        2915 - merge from the trunk (this is the only rev that should be
merging into the child branches)

    Branch1A
        2750 - merge from Branch1
        2793 - merge from Branch1
        2905 - merge from Branch1

    Branch1B
        2836 - merge from Branch1
        2859 - merge from Branch1

Once the merge indicated that there was nothing to merge, I ran the avail
command, and dumped the contents of the svnmerge-integrated property for
each child branch.

    Branch1A
        %~/Branch1A> /re/bin/svnmerge.py avail -b -v -S
http://svn.system.com/svn/repos/test/branches/Branch1
        svnmerge: calculate source path for the branch
        svnmerge: source is
"http://svn.system.com/svn/repos/test/branches/Branch1"
        svnmerge: skipping phantom revisions: 2904-2914,2916-2917
        %~/Branch1A> /re/bin/svnmerge.py avail -v -S
http://svn.system.com/svn/repos/test/branches/Branch1
        svnmerge: calculate source path for the branch
        svnmerge: source is
"http://svn.system.com/svn/repos/test/branches/Branch1"
        svnmerge: skipping phantom revisions: 2904-2914,2916-2917
        svnmerge: revisions available to be merged are:
        2915
        %~/Branch1A> svn proplist -v
        Properties on '.':
          svnmerge-integrated : /branches/Branch1:1-2903
        %~/Branch1A>

    Branch1B
        %~/Branch1B> /re/bin/svnmerge.py avail -v -b -S
http://svn.system.com/svn/repos/test/branches/Branch1
        svnmerge: calculate source path for the branch
        svnmerge: source is
"http://svn.system.com/svn/repos/test/branches/Branch1"
        svnmerge: skipping phantom revisions: 2859-2864,2866-2914,2916-2923
        svnmerge: skipping reflected revisions: 2865,2915
        svnmerge: skipping initialized revisions: 2915
        %~/Branch1B> /re/bin/svnmerge.py avail -v -S
http://svn.system.com/svn/repos/test/branches/Branch1
        svnmerge: calculate source path for the branch
        svnmerge: source is
"http://svn.system.com/svn/repos/test/branches/Branch1"
        svnmerge: skipping phantom revisions: 2859-2864,2866-2914,2916-2923
        svnmerge: revisions available to be merged are:
        2865,2915
        %~/Branch1B> svn proplist -v
        Properties on '.':
          svnmerge-integrated : /branches/Branch1:1-2858
        %~/Branch1B>

Starting with Branch1A, if the -b output shows that rev 2915 would not be
considered for a merge, there's nothing indicating what it does think about
rev 2915.  Then with Branch1B, it makes sense to me that 2865 is a reflected
revision, but what happened to make it think that 2915 is a reflected and
initialized revision.

This was a real situation, and in order for the engineers involved to move
forward with this I, I had them run the merge with the -r option specified.
Sorry this is so long, and if there's more info needed let me know, and
hopefully I can get it.

Thanks,
Margo