[Svnmerge] overzealous exclusion of reflective merges?

Reid Priedhorsky reid at reidster.net
Tue Jun 10 10:38:37 PDT 2008

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> All,
>
> We have been having trouble with changes not being merged. Here is the
> steps and what I think is happening:
>
> 1. create branch A by copying TRUNK
> 2. make some changes on A and commit them
> 3. make some changes on TRUNK and commit them
> 4. merge these changes on A back to TRUNK:
>     a. svnmerge merge
>     b. some edits -- fix conflicts, maybe some other changes
>     c. commit
> 5. make some more commits on TRUNK and commit them
> 6. merge TRUNK to A

[I sent this e-mail to the list yesterday afternoon, and received the
e-mail myself, but it has not appeared in the list archives. So, I'm
unsure it actually went out to the list. I am resending it, this time
with the script linked rather than attached. If it is a duplicate, my
apologies for the noise.]

OK, I think that I have identified the problem. It seems to be triggered
by editing files in Step 4b that have no Subversion-identified conflicts.

I have created a shell script which illustrates, available at
<http://www.cs.umn.edu/~reid/merge-test2.sh>. Both my old copy of
svnmerge.py (unknown revision, but filesystem date of 2007-06-08) and
Subversion 1.5rc9 work correctly, but the current version of svnmerge.py
(as downloaded from the website) fails to merge the Step 4b changes from
trunk to branch whether or not -b is specified.

Thanks,

Reid