[Svnmerge] Some un-clarity in the wiki tutorial [attn: Giovanni Bajo]

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Sun Mar 16 12:06:44 PDT 2008

http://www.orcaware.com/svn/mediawiki/index.php?title=Svnmerge.py#Development_branches
has what I *think* are some problems, but I wanted to confirm it with
svnmerge experts before I consider further editing the page.  So I'm
fully aware that I could be barking up the wrong tree; I'm looking for
confirmation/refutation of my understanding.  Thanks...

* I already made one edit:
  http://www.orcaware.com/svn/mediawiki/index.php?title=Svnmerge.py&diff=1740&oldid=1709,
  but I'm afraid

    "if you're currently in a working copy directory containing trunk:
    svn copy trunk branch; cd branch"

  is still a bit too esoteric because people rarely are sitting in a WC
  directory that *contains* the trunk directory.  Typically, they've done

     svn co url://of/the/trunk projectname

  and the best way to get to the state described is something like:

     svn cp url://of/the/trunk url://of/the/branch
     svn switch url://of/the/branch

  Isn't that right?

* I'm really surprised to see

    "svnmerge.py is meant to always operate in this condition (so let me
    repeat: top-level directory, no local modifications"

  given that http://kenkinder.com/svnmerge/ says

    "You can tell svnmerge about the branches after the fact, but if you
    do it up front, you won't need to tell it from what revision numbers
    the branches came."

  and, having some rough idea about what "svnmerge.py init" is supposed
  to do, it seems to me that it shouldn't care about the local state of
  the working copy.  Is it really correct that you can't have local
  modifications?

TIA for your attention,

--
Dave Abrahams