[Svnmerge] Multiple conflicting revisions of one file in a merge

Raman Gupta rocketraman at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 31 16:18:35 PDT 2008

Raman Gupta wrote:
> Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 5:43 PM, John Ricklefs
>> <John.Ricklefs at tamalesoftware.com> wrote:
>>>  I'm not sure if there is something I am missing that I can tell our
>>>  developers to do to try to simplify this, except to run each of the
>>>  above three merges independently, resolving conflicts and committing
>>>  each time.  Has anyone else seen this behavior, or have a better
>>>  workaround to suggest?
>> That's usually my solution.  svnmerge doesn't have a good way to
>> determine what combinations of revisions will create a conflict (save
>> trying them all, which would take forever).  Generally, when this
>> happens, I just revert my merge and take a guess as to which revision
>> range I should merge to generate only one conflict.
>
> Instead of guessing, you can run the merge with -v, which will report
> the ranges being merged. Then just do the same ranges with -r, one at
> a time.

Forgot to mention: for the first merge run, you can use --dry-run, or
alternatively just revert the merge after running it. The advantage of
the latter is that you get to see which ranges produce the conflicts,
but of course the first is faster and less intrusive on your working copy.

Cheers,
Raman Gupta