[Svnmerge] Unable to get --bidirectional flag to work.

JL jeremyl at research.canon.com.au
Sun May 18 23:09:28 PDT 2008

Hi Dustin,

Answer's inline,

Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 10:50 PM, JL <jeremyl at research.canon.com.au> wrote:
>
>> I've spend some more time on this and I still can't figure out how to
>> get svnmerge.py to ignore reflected revisions.  The --bidirectional
>> switch just doesn't seem to be working.
>>

> I might have missed it, but have you verified that you're using the
> latest svnmerge (LastChangedRevision: 30181)?

I'm using the version currently linked to from the svnmerge wiki.
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge/svnmerge.py
However I get an unknown version when i run svnmerge.py -V
svnmerge r<unknown>
  modified: <unknown>

Copyright (C) 2004,2005 Awarix Inc.
Copyright (C) 2005, Giovanni Bajo

>> Are there any steps I can run so people can see what is occurring or
>> other information I can provide?  It is this bidirectional support which
>> is the main reason I wish to use the script and since it seems to work
>> for everyone else, I can't see why it isn't working for me.
>>

> At step 4 of the recipe you gave earlier, where 'svnmerge avail' gives
> bogus results, please give the results of
> svn propget svnmerge-integrated .
> svn propget svnmerge-integrated ../trunk

4) See what is available.  Revision 62 is listed as available even though it is a merge from the branch.
D:\Home\jeremyl\clean\BR_CODELINE_phase1>svnmerge.py avail --bidirectional
20,22,51,54,62

D:\Home\jeremyl\soc_checkouts\clean\BR_CODELINE_phase1>svn propget
svnmerge-integrated .
/trunk:1-13

D:\Home\jeremyl\soc_checkouts\clean\BR_CODELINE_phase1>svn propget
svnmerge-integrated ..\trunk
//branches/COMPANY/BR_CODELINE_phase1:1-61

D:\Home\jeremyl\soc_checkouts\clean\BR_CODELINE_phase1>svnmerge.py avail
--bidirectional -v
svnmerge: calculate source path for the branch
svnmerge: source is "http://servername:58802/somepath/svn/trunk"
svnmerge: skipping phantom revisions: 14-15,17-19,21,23-50,52-53,55-61
svnmerge: revisions available to be merged are:
20,22,51,54,62

> Blair's suggestions are good, too, but I suspect it will work with an
> empty repository :)

So do I...

I'm accessing a remote repository elsewhere in the company.  I'm
accessing the repository over HTTP.  To create the branch in the first
place I ran the command svn copy
http://servername:port/somepath/svn/trunk
http://servername:port/somepath/svn/branches/COMPANY/BR_CODELINE_phase1

What I noticed is that there is always a '//' at the start of the
branchname when looking at the svnmerge-integrated property.  Not sure
if this is an issue or not.  When I do the 'avail' command in verbose
mode, it prints the line
'svnmerge: source is "http://servername:58802/somepath/svn/trunk"' this
path is correct, but doesn't have the '//' anywhere it it.