[Svnmerge] Question about SVN 1.5 vs. svnmerge

Reid Priedhorsky reid at reidster.net
Sun Sep 28 13:48:50 PDT 2008

Blair Zajac wrote:
> Jon Schewe wrote:
 >>
>> I've done some reading on the new merge features in svn 1.5 and I'm not
>> sure it supports everything that svnmerge does. Perhaps someone on this
>> list can either answer the question or point me to an answer.
>>
>> I'm doing development with development branches. Each developer has
>> their own branch they work on (as we don't share bugs much). Each
>> developer merges changes from the trunk when they want to get up to date
>> and then merges changes back to the trunk when they're done making
>> changes (using -b) and then keeps making changes in their development
>> branch and does this all over again.
>>
>> Looking at the svn 1.5 documentation it doesn't appear that this is
>> supported as you need to use the reintegrate option and then the branch
>> is dead. Is this correct?
>
> That's right.  1.5 also doesn't support blocking revisions expect by munging the
> mergeinfo using --record-only.

I was under the impression that --reintegrate was basically analagous to
--bidirectional. No?

FWIW, we are planning to drop svnmerge in favor of 1.5 merge tracking,
largely due to --bidirectional becoming non-optional in r29665. This
introduced the assumption that branch->trunk merges never fixed
conflicts by altering files not otherwise modified by the merge, which
is regularly untrue for us. Thus, we are stuck at an old version of
svnmerge.

Reid