[Svnmerge] Question about SVN 1.5 vs. svnmerge

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Sun Sep 28 19:23:48 PDT 2008

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Blair Zajac wrote:
>> Jon Schewe wrote:
>  >>
>>> I've done some reading on the new merge features in svn 1.5 and I'm not
>>> sure it supports everything that svnmerge does. Perhaps someone on this
>>> list can either answer the question or point me to an answer.
>>>
>>> I'm doing development with development branches. Each developer has
>>> their own branch they work on (as we don't share bugs much). Each
>>> developer merges changes from the trunk when they want to get up to date
>>> and then merges changes back to the trunk when they're done making
>>> changes (using -b) and then keeps making changes in their development
>>> branch and does this all over again.
>>>
>>> Looking at the svn 1.5 documentation it doesn't appear that this is
>>> supported as you need to use the reintegrate option and then the branch
>>> is dead. Is this correct?
>> That's right.  1.5 also doesn't support blocking revisions expect by munging the
>> mergeinfo using --record-only.
>
> I was under the impression that --reintegrate was basically analagous to
> --bidirectional. No?

No, it's not.

http://blogs.open.collab.net/svn/2008/07/subversion-merg.html

> FWIW, we are planning to drop svnmerge in favor of 1.5 merge tracking,
> largely due to --bidirectional becoming non-optional in r29665. This
> introduced the assumption that branch->trunk merges never fixed
> conflicts by altering files not otherwise modified by the merge, which
> is regularly untrue for us. Thus, we are stuck at an old version of
> svnmerge.

I haven't tried svnmerge.py + svn 1.5 to see if that works, but it could
potentially take care of merge conflicts.

Blair Zajac, Ph.D.
CTO, OrcaWare Technologies
<blair at orcaware.com>
Subversion training, consulting and support
http://www.orcaware.com/svn/