[Svnmerge] svnmerge & foreign repositories

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Feb 3 21:23:48 PST 2009

On Jan 29, 2009, at 1:12 AM, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Dustin J. Mitchell
> <dustin at zmanda.com> wrote:
>> but it was part 5 in a series, and apparently never got committed?
>> The help I pasted earlier in the thread is from my own version of
>> svnmerge (with all of the patches applied).  I'll see if I can get
>> this cleaned up.
>
> Wow, the review for this patch series spanned many months, between the
> bug tracker and the mailing list.  I will try to sort out what was and
> was not committed, and come up with a working patch.  Hopefully I can
> get a quick review at that point and get it committed.

	Hi Dustin! I don't know if you remember me, but we exchanged a bit
off-list a while ago about your additions to svnmerge supporting
"foreign" repositories. At first they worked like a charm for me,
thank you very much ;-) , but then it took us a while to figure out
why the inits started failing consistently. I don't by far remember
the ticket number up at Tigris that explained the problem I was
experiencing, but basically it boiled down to mixing http-transport
repos with svn:// ones. If you're going to pull from an http based
repo into an svn:// one, or the other way round, then don't even
bother to look into it because you wont get passed the init stage, and
the Subversion team will tell you they don't support the notion of
"foreign" repositories (other than through svn:externals, but that's
an entirely different topic aside from merge tracking). In any case,
though, this was the state of affairs a while back when I was using
your -L additions... but I seriously doubt anything has changed in
this respect.

	This is something you might want to keep in mind when reviving your
additions to svnmerge, even if only for the documentation of
shortcomings. Regards,...

-jmpp