[Svnmerge] Fwd: [Issue 2869] multiple pathid formats

Dustin J. Mitchell dustin at zmanda.com
Tue Feb 17 15:32:36 PST 2009

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 6:16 PM, Giovanni Bajo <rasky at develer.com> wrote:
> Any specific reason why you skipped it? The idea is that the additional
> argument fail_on_invalid shouldn't be necessary, nor playing with the
> "Not a valid URL" message. It is probably sufficient to check the return
> value.

Well, the "Not a valid URL" part is for backward compatibility, as I
remember it.  The fail_on_invalid affects the behavior of get_svninfo
-- whether to call error() or not.  Most uses of get_svninfo want to
error() out on an invalid URL, but check_url does not.  Rather than
adjust all calls to that function to conditionalize the result and
call error() themselves, I added the extra parameter to control the
function's behavior on failure.  Obviously, the better solution would
be to use exceptions instead of this error() business, but that's a
big change for another day.

I'm loathe to roll the first change back, only to have to re-debug
something I debugged 9 months ago and re-apply this or something
similar.  As for the second change, this is the least intrusive fix in
an already enormous patch.

What do you think?

Dustin

--