[Svnmerge] svnmerge.py with Subversion 1.5

Dustin J. Mitchell dustin at zmanda.com
Tue Jan 27 16:34:23 PST 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 5:12 PM, Jorge Medina <jmedina at e-dialog.com> wrote:
> Assuming all my organization only use svnmerge.py to create/merge/close
> the branch, Is it possible to keep using svnmerge.py with Subversion
> 1.5? Would any of the svn properties overlap ?

Yes - I use svnmerge now with a 1.5 client against several 1.<mumble> servers.

> For those of you that had used svnmerge.py and also upgraded to
> Subversion 1.5, What are you using for merge tracking? Are you using the
> native merge tracking from Subversion 1.5 ? Do you still use svnmerge.py
> ? Are there any advantages on Subversion 1.5 merge tracking
> capabilities?

I will admit (shamefully, as my name is on a few svnmerge commits)
admit that I use git for most of my merge tracking now.  I just use
svnmerge to handle synchronizing commits between two subversion repos.
 Since my merging needs in this case are minimal, continuing to use
svnmerge was easiest.  I think that I would switch to svn-1.5's native
merge-tracking if I were doing the "topic-branch" development that it
is designed to best support.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer