[Svnmerge] svnmerge.py with Subversion 1.5

Jorge Medina jmedina at e-dialog.com
Tue Jan 27 14:12:38 PST 2009

We recently upgraded our Subversion server and all our repositories to
1.5
We are now in a mix of Subversion 1.4 and 1.5 clients.

I found in the Subversion book  (Subversion 1.5, page 95) the following
paragraph:

"In Subversion 1.5, once a --reintegrate merge is done from branch to
trunk, the
branch is no longer usable for further work. It's not able to correctly
absorb new trunk
changes, nor can it be properly reintegrated to trunk again. For this
reason, if you want to
keep working on your feature branch, we recommend destroying it and then
re-creating it
from the trunk:"

I find it totally unacceptable that branches can only be merged back to
trunk once. Now merge tracking on Subversion 1.5 seems to me like a
half-baked feature. Svnmerge.py allows to keep the branch until we
decide to actually close it.

Assuming all my organization only use svnmerge.py to create/merge/close
the branch, Is it possible to keep using svnmerge.py with Subversion
1.5? Would any of the svn properties overlap ?

For those of you that had used svnmerge.py and also upgraded to
Subversion 1.5, What are you using for merge tracking? Are you using the
native merge tracking from Subversion 1.5 ? Do you still use svnmerge.py
? Are there any advantages on Subversion 1.5 merge tracking
capabilities?

Thank you.

-Jorge