[Svnmerge] Merge Issues

Prakash P M S prakashpms at hotmail.com
Thu May 12 00:00:51 PDT 2011

> Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 09:58:34 -0400
> From: rocketraman at fastmail.fm
> To: prakashpms at hotmail.com
> CC: svnmerge at orcaware.com; blair at orcaware.com
> Subject: Re: [Svnmerge] Merge Issues
>

> > While it is true that svnmerge.py is not resolving conflicts, isn't
> > it fair to expect it stop merging subsequent revisions when there is
> > a conflict raised due to previous revision merge and not add the
> > revisions to svnmerge-integrated property? It should summarize with
> > the list of revisions that are not merged due to prior conflict, so
> > that they can be force merged using svnmerge.py after resolving the
> > conflict. Or it should merge the changes to foo.c.working instead of
> > foo.c in conflict scenarios.
>
> Prakash, while I understand and agree that svnmerge.py is not working
> optimally in this situation, I suspect that most of the committers
> have moved on to using built-in svn merging, and/or other tools that
> have better support for merging such as git -- I know I have.
> Development of svnmerge.py has thus basically stopped.
>
> Therefore, it is likely that if you want some changes to svnmerge.py
> you will have to make them yourself. Once you submit a patch, myself
> or one of the other committers will be more than happy to review your
> changes for inclusion. Make sure to include a useful unit test.

Initially we had the svnmerge provided by svn, but it had the overhead of renaming the source branch after merge is complete etc. For our usage, we cannot keep renaming the dev branch where development happens. I will have to see if the new version has better svnmerge capabilities. That is why we are still using svnmerge.py. Never had a chance to explore git as it involves migration to the new tool etc.

I have not looked at svnmerge.py and let me see if I can make the modification myself.

-- Thanks