[Svnmerge] svnmerge and externals

Dustin J. Mitchell dustin at v.igoro.us
Sat Jan 7 19:20:52 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:46 PM, William Baum <bill at thebaums.org> wrote:
> Here is a patch against r1227877, with three independent sections.

First, svnmerge is barely maintained anymore, since its functionality
has largely been superseded since Subversion 1.5, so I can't guarantee
patches will get merged -- I certainly don't feel qualified to give a
thumbs-up here.

> The first section deals with externals breaking check_dir_clean in a
> simpler manner than Lars' change to XML.  I also added a report of the
> detail of offending files to the verbose output.

This looks OK, although I've lost the context for "Lars' change".  In
general, I think that parsing XML output from svn commands is more
stable and backward-compatible -- important for a script that probably
sees much more use in version-constrained subversion environments.

> The second section forces the local working copy check to return true.
>  One could implement a different check if there were a compelling
> reason, but the risk of working on a non-working directory seems
> minimal.

I think this needs to be justified -- why remove the check?  And a
patch to remove it should actually remove it, not just hack it (and,
worse, comment out code -- commented out code should never be checked
into version control).

> The third section formats commit messages in a way that I prefer.
> It's more compact and readable, and uses relative paths, if available,
> instead of the full url.

I don't have any issue with this.

Dustin