[Svnmerge] partial merging

drkmkzs drkmkzs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 07:55:32 PDT 2012

Hello,

I've just begun to use svnmerge, and I had some little problems,
surely due to my misusing, or my misunderstanding :)

We have a trunk branch, and we branched a devel branch from it.
We work on the devel branch, commit, etc etc... Then when want to merge.

We went the trunk local repository, ensured it's up-to-date, and did svnmerge.
All was fine, we could see all modifications on the local repository.

The problem was at the next step :
> we believed we could commit just the modifications on some files we want, so we just committed some files. For the rest of the files - that were merged but we didn't want to commit - we just replaced them with the head version (i think the bad usage is here)

Then we continue to work on the devel.

Then we wanted to process a second merge. But after the svnmerge, all
modifications that had not been committed at the first merge were not
merged. It was like svnmerge had skipped them...
To get them back, i had to uninit the trunk branch, and do the process again.

Is my understanding correct ? After an svnmerge, i MUST commit all
modifications of that merge, otherwise they won't be seen at the next
svnmerge ?
=> so the unique solution to merge a part of the branch, is to use the
-r option with revision number ?

Thanx a lot,
and sorry for my english, i did my best ;)

drKzs