[ocaml-biz] target demographics

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery
Thu Aug 26 15:35:50 PDT 2004

Brian Hurt wrote:

> But, pretty much by definition, the people who don't know programming
> don't know this.  So there is a huge demand by the students
> to be taught a
> language that they can look at the help wanted ads of the
> local paper and
> see lots of demand for.  Thus the popularity of C++ and Java as first
> programming languages, despite their manifest unfitness for
> said role (you
> don't learn to fly in a 747, and you don't learn to drive in
> a Formula-1
> race car, despite the fact that those are what the professionals
> fly/drive).

Well, we had a different strategy available for Python.  Python is easy
for beginners to pick up.  It's on par with Visual Basic in that
respect.  With Python, you don't need the 747 or the Formula-1 to get
going.  Python is a Honda Civic, it's well put together and will get you
from A to B.  Unfortunately you can't win the Grand Prix or fly around
the world with it, it's just too slow.

OCaml has way better performance, and can scale up in ways that Python
cannot.  Unfortunately, the price is a much higher learning curve.  It's
every bit as hard to learn as C++, because typically people must swallow
Functional Programming while they're at it.  OCaml isn't so tough if you
already understand the FP paradigm, but the vast majority of programmers
don't.  Actually, bringing FP into the realm of the fungible for mere
mortals is an important marketing subtask.  There's way too much
academese surrounding FP, and none of it's compelling to people who just
want to get shit done.

OCaml has a good inroad in that one doesn't have to use FP if one
doesn't want to.  But realistically, most people don't control their own
code.  People are going to use libraries, and FP is the dominant OCaml
culture.  So people are going to end up facing FP a lot sooner than they
might otherwise choose to.  It's not like OCaml really lets you *avoid*
FP, when you consider the big picture.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur