[ocaml-biz] basics of Branding

Brian Hurt bhurt
Fri Aug 27 17:31:16 PDT 2004

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, William D. Neumann wrote:

> Although your question leads me to wonder if using a logo in the style of
> Matisse, or some other well known French artist might not be a bad idea.
> OCaml is a French product, and programming in it is a bit like creating
> art...  I really think something along the lines of this
> <http://www.bluespoon.com/banjoh/poster/matisse.jpg> or this
> <http://74savoie.free.fr/ballades/notre_dame/images/matisse.jpg> or
> even this <http://www.tcd.ie/History_of_Art/assets/jpegs/Matisse.jpg>
> could work well.  (And mostly OT, I soooo love this Matisse parody
> <http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/high/images/parody-matisse.jpg>)

If we're going to be stealing the style of an artist, I vote for M.C.
Escher.  In addition to being stylistic, it's also geek cool and
represented the fundamentally recursive/reflective/mathematical nature of
Ocaml.
http://www.mcescher.com/Gallery/back-bmp/LW389.jpg

> (BTW: I finally thought of a "sexy" logo the
> other day... the St. Pauli Girl logo -- not that that's worth anything
> here).

I thought the "who uses sex to sell things" comments to be saracasm.  Who
doesn't use sex to sell things?  Cigarettes.  Alcohol.  Cars.  Toothpaste.
Chewing Gum.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian