[ocaml-biz] producing images

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery
Fri Aug 27 22:59:14 PDT 2004

William D. Neumann wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >
> > We don't have infinite time to debate, make submissions, or revise
> either.  Debating brand identities is the easy part: we all know how
> use words cheaply.  Once we start drawing and submitting, we're gonna
> find that "um, it's not quite good enough" gets real old real quick.
>
> I see what you're saying, but I'm still of the "picture = 1000 *
words"
school of thought.  I am much better suited to looking at an image,
saying
yeah, I like parts a, c, and q, and then trying to use a,c, and q to
evolve the image -- reading something like "I'm kind of pictureing an
abstract grapefruit and a clown" mean next to nothing to me... is the
clown eating the grapefruit? Sitting on it? Being squashed by it? and so
on... I suppose the two processes can run in parallel, but one can only
analyze something for so long before he has to actually produce
something...

If you are handy with a pen and just want to start cranking out images
for people to talk about, great, do so.  Otherwise, please realize that
if people don't bombard you with lotsa images to discuss, it's because
creating images is substantially more work than putting words on a page.
Most images aren't good enough, and hearing "that's not good enough"
over and over again does tend to sap the morale.  It's easier to shoot
down words, as less work goes into words.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur