[ocaml-biz] basics of Branding

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery
Fri Aug 27 23:32:13 PDT 2004

William D. Neumann wrote:

> While I wouldn't be against an Escher-esque logo, let me offer these
> caveats.
>    1) Yeah, he's got geek cred, especially when you have
> stuff like this
>       <http://escherdroste.math.leidenuniv.nl/> going on.  However, I
>       personally am kind of tired of his work.  As a geek,
> I've just seen
>       so much of it.  I'm just wondering how many others feel
> the same way.

I very much feel this way.  Yes, Escher is kewl.  Every single geek
since early college has gone through his Escher phase.  At least I did
more than gawk, I'd discuss his perspective tricks on virtual worlds art
mailing lists.  I feel Escher is way overused in geekdom.  Especially
considering the profundity of what could be stolen from art history, all
the mechanical concepts that have ever been rendered by Dadaists,
Futurists, or other sundry movements, I just don't see a reason to latch
on to Escher.

>    2) Remember, the target demographic is primarily suits --
> they might not
>       cotton to Escher as much as your average Joe.  I don't
> really know.

They won't.  Geeks have a lot in common with Escher.  Suits don't.
Escher isn't "one of them."

A word on target demographics.  Techies *are* important.  Unlike Python,
OCaml really doesn't have enough techies yet.  Even Python could stand
to have tons more of 'em, they've only got a 2% marketshare.

When I say "the logo should target suits," that's because suits will
reject a geek logo.  Techies, on the other hand, won't reject anything
based on its logo.  They'll reject based on what the tech does, or seems
to do.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur