[ocaml-biz] Book

William D. Neumann wneumann
Mon Aug 30 11:08:24 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Martin Jambon wrote:

> Such a book exists in French: "Le langage Caml", by Weis and Leroy.
> http://caml.inria.fr/books-eng.html#camlprimer

Unfortunately, this isn't too useful for folks who don't read French.
Right now, the best English texts out there (that I know of at least) are
Jason Hickey's proto-book <files.metaprl.org/doc/ocaml-book.pdf>, which
more or less taught me OCaml, the translated O'Reilly book. and Richard's
tutorial over at merjis.  It would be nice to combine the introductory
aspects of Hickey's and Richard's works with the larger scope of the
O'Reilly book (Which is a pretty good book, but it just doesn't feel...
right.  Not sure why that is, it just feels like its missing something).

It would also be nice to see something like this
<http://web.access.net.au/felixadv/files/output/book/> (Unix system
Programming with Standard ML) done with OCaml as well, but that's a
different thing from a good introductory text.

> In addition to this book, the reference manual of Caml Light was published
> in parallel as a regular book.

Unfortunately, also in French.

> Maybe you could ask the authors about what they think of an
> adaptation for the Objective Caml and English languages.

Honestly, it might just be easier to start from scratch than to translate
and update an existing text.  as well as rewriting sections that delve a
bit too deeply into the academic side of things.

William D. Neumann

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

 	-- Jarvis Cocker

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)