[ocaml-biz] Re: Book

Brian Hurt bhurt
Mon Aug 30 11:59:07 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Martin Jambon wrote:

> Such a book exists in French: "Le langage Caml", by Weis and Leroy.
> http://caml.inria.fr/books-eng.html#camlprimer
>
> I personally think it is an excellent and exceptional book.

I don't read (or speak) French.  Neither do a lot of people.

> It simply teaches programming and requires almost nothing from the reader.

The target audience I'm going after already knows how to program, in one
or more popular languages.  "Learning to Program in Ocaml" is a different
book.

> Reading this book does not require a computer (at least for the first
> part).

Most programmers have a computer already.

> Maybe you could ask the authors about what they think of an
> adaptation for the Objective Caml and English languages.

I could.  Personally, I think the more books about Ocaml there are, the
better.  Having the one, right, book is a necessity.  Having several
running feet of decent to good books is better.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian