[ocaml-biz] the Python competitor

William D. Neumann wneumann
Mon Aug 30 12:13:24 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Brian Hurt wrote:

> But this is part of the problem Ocaml faces.  People see these problems-
> and they are legitimate problems- with the current popular crop of
> statically typed languages.  The trick is convincing them that solutions
> do, indeed, exist.  You can get the benefits of static type checking (and
> more) without the bondage and discipline aspects.

A lot of this was covered fairly well in the more or less classic Strong
Typing and Perl talk given by Mark Jason Dominus way back in '99.  If you
havent seen it yet, the slides and notes are available here
<http://perl.plover.com/yak/typing/>.  I don't suppose too many folk out
there read about it or cared all that much, but it's a decent starting
point.

William D. Neumann

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

 	-- Jarvis Cocker

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)