[ocaml-biz] Book

William D. Neumann wneumann
Mon Aug 30 12:36:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Martin Jambon wrote:

>>  as well as rewriting sections that delve a
>> bit too deeply into the academic side of things.
>
> But unfortunately normal people are not prepared for an "OCaml Cookbook".
> They have to learn a few things first (I call this academic).

Well, by academic, I'm referring to things like bringing in concepts of
functional programming that don't need to be brought up (or at least named
at an early point) to learn how to program in OCaml -- things like lambda
calculus, referential transparency, operational semantics, etc.  Look at
Cousineau & Mauny and then look at Hickey's work -- see a striking
difference?  A person who already knows how to program in something like C
or Java can breeze right through the Hickey's book and learn a great deal
about basic programming in OCaml, possibly stopping for a bit to digest
the section on red/black trees.

However, while I don't have the C & M book here with me to look at, I know
that even someone like me, who has been coding in OCaml for a couple
of years needs to stop and re-read sections of it that are just too dense
to get through easily (not to mention that some of the sections are a
wonderful treatment for insomnia...)

What I (and I believe Brian) think is needed is a book that helps people
migrate from other, better known, languages to OCaml.  A book like
"Learning Perl", or Paul Wang's "C++ With Object-Oriented Programming".
This is opposed to a "This is how to program" type book, or even worse, a
"Structure And Interpretation of Computer Programs" book using OCaml as
the main language.  That can come along *after* a migratory book.

William D. Neumann

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

 	-- Jarvis Cocker

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)