[ocaml-biz] strategy bullet point list

William D. Neumann wneumann
Mon Aug 30 15:50:31 PDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

Two minor points:

> - C++ is neither high level nor type safe.  Java and C# do not offer
> performance, and OCaml is better at HLL features and type safety.

I really know jack about C#, so there may be a simple, valid counterpoint,
but if one looks at the recently revived language shootout
<http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/index.php>, C# ranks ahead of OCaml in
raw speed.  So if we're going to claim that C# does not offer performance,
we're going to have to come up with a valid explanation of why it ranks
ahead of OCaml on that scorecard...

> - OCaml is a systems language, not a scripting language.  It competes
> with other systems languages.

While I agree with the point that OCaml is competing against system
languages, I just wonder if there's any value in also pointing out that it
makes a much better scripting language than any of the other systems
languages we're looking at (with the possible exception of python).

William D. Neumann

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

 	-- Jarvis Cocker

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)