[ocaml-biz] The Hype Cycle

Brian Hurt bhurt
Tue Aug 31 21:09:25 PDT 2004

Long, mostly off topic, but with a brilliant save at the end to bring it
back on topic.

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> Man do I personally hate Merced.  I put my early career into mastering
> the DEC Alpha, the best CPU that had shipped anywhere.  DEC sued Intel,
> DEC got money.  DEC became cash attractive and Compaq gobbled it up.
> DECcies lost faith in the Alpha, internally within the company.  We'd
> get lied to in employee meetings about how Compaq was going to "do
> something" with the Alpha license, not just kill it.  I left DEC before
> the Compaq buyout was completed.  I saw the writing on the wall.

I note with humor that it's only been in the last few *months* that the
Alpha has (finally!) been knocked off it's throne as king of SpecFP:
http://www.aceshardware.com/SPECmine/index.jsp?b=2&s=0&v=1&if=0&ncf=1&nct=256&cpcf=1&cpct=2&mf=250&mt=3600&o=0&o=1
It's still a competitor.

Not bad for a dead chip.  I wonder what it would be doing if it was still
being developed actively.

> All these years later, those Intel assholes still don't have anything
> better than the x86 to offer.  But I have to give them credit where
> credit is due.  Intel had DEC whipped on fab, that's how they put the
> nails in our coffin.  And DEC couldn't market its way out of the paper
> bag.  Many sad lessons of disillusionment for a young techie.  I wanted
> to believe in something.  I found that corporations cannot, under any
> circumstances, be believed in.

The problem is, I think, that the IBM monopoly is alive and well, and
currently called the Wintel Duopoly.  If you think the Alpha kicked ass,
take a long, hard look at the CDC-6600.  Among other things, that machine
made Seymore Cray.

The advantage to the Wintel Duopoly over the IBM monopoly is that the
Duopoly has no experience in the long-term maintainance of a monopoly.
Remember, IBM was founded in 1896- 50 years before the advent of
computers- explicitly to be the punch card monopoly.  Yes, Virginia, both
punch cards and IBM predate computers by quite a bit.  A variant of the
Jaquard loom allowed basic sorting, tabulation, etc. operations to be
performed on punch cards long before computers came onto the scene.  IBM
only got into computers to protect it's monopoly on punch card machines
and punch cards.

In almost 100 years of maintaining a monopoly, IBM only screwed up once.
Unfortunately for IBM, once was enough.  It made a computer that it sold
more than dozen of in which is did not make the CPU and write the OS- the
IBM PC.  Opps.

Intel and Microsoft, on the other hand, are screwing up right and left.
Microsoft is trying to act like a small growth company with $16 billion
dollars a year in revenue.  The stock options, the lure of becoming a
Microsoft Millionaire, the 20%/yr growth curves- all these things are the
hallmarks of a small company.  Unfortunately, a 20% growth in sales means
they need to find $3.2 billion in *new* sales every years.  Next year,
it'll be almost $4 billion in new sales.  You can't do it.  You can't
invent, and completely dominate, a new $3 billion/year market every year
like clockwork- there aren't that many markets.  So what does Microsoft
do?  They raise prices.  About 20% a year.

Sooner or later, the customers *will* revolt.  And Microsoft will suddenly
discover that it has no friends.  If Windows still only cost $10/CPU for
the OEMs, and OTC list price was $70 but shop around, you can find it for
$30, Linux wouldn't be a threat (well, as much of a threat).

Intel fell into a different trap.  They've kept the lid on prices, but
forgot to keep the competitors out.  IBM segmented the market into three
basic categories- entry level, mid range, and high end.  And it had a
policy of never letting a competitor gain a signifigant toe hold in any
segment of the market.  It would sell computers at a serious loss, at 40%
under what it cost IBM to make them, to keep competitors out.  Because
losses in one segment could be recouped in other segments that weren't
facing competition.  It was entry-level that they most often had to lose
money on.

Intel has kept IBM's original three segments- consider Celeron, Pentium,
and Xeon brands.  What are these, except entry level, mid range, and high
end?  But between the 486SX and the Celeron, Intel abandoned the low end,
because it wasn't profitable enough.  This was the Ur-screw-up they have
yet to recover from.

AMD's break through was the K-6 chip, targeted primarily at the low end.
It was nothing to write home about, but it was an OK performer, and it was
real inexpensive.  And Intel's initial, paniced rush out of the cacheless
Celeron didn't help things.

The K-6 gave AMD the money to develop the Athlon.  When AMD lapped the
Athlon and beat Intel to 1GHz, Intel again had to panic, and screwed up (I
beleive) even worse.  They pulled engineers off of Merced and threw them
at the P4.  In addition to kneecapping Merced (Merced would have been a
lot more impressive four-five years ago) it didn't help the P4.  I have no
direct prove, but I have circumstantial evidence that Intel tried
dramatically increasing the number of pipeline stages in the P4 late in
the game, and ended up with unbalanced stages.  Exhibit A: the double
pumped adder unit (making lemonaide out of lemons).  Exhibit B: the
scaling problems they've had.  Exhibit C: the fact that they added another
10 stages in the most recent revision.  But the point is: now Intel had
competition in two of the three segements- both the Celeron and the
Pentium were facing AMD competition.

But the Athlon set AMD up for the Opteron.  Which competes against the
Xeon.  Now Intel is facing something that Intel never did- a single
competitor (not a dozen competitors, a single competitor) with a 20%+
market share and the ability to compete with Intel across the board.  And
maybe even go into places Intel never could (be real- how many
32-processor x86 machines are really sold each year?  Compared to
32-processor Power, Sparc, or PA-RISC machines?).

And Intel is panicing yet again with the whole ia64 thing.  I wonder when
people will wake up and realize AMD is no longer Intel compatible- Intel
is AMD compatible.  Hint to Intel: you have the tech writers on staff.
When stealing some one else's architecture, rewrite the manuals from
scratch:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/07/intel_64bit/

Even worse, take a look at the benchmarks.  Ignore the first person
shooter games and the media encoding, and look at the webserver and
especially the database performance numbers.  AMD is absolutely spanking
Intel in performance in things people are willing to pay real money for
performance in.

If I were AMD, I'd quite happily cede the gamer and media encoding markets
to Intel, in exchange for the data base, web server, and business logic
markets.

> AMD Opteron's success will be sweet revenge though.  'Round the time I
> left, AMD and DEC were in an alliance / partnership regarding floating
> point technology.

Worse than that.  AMD cherry picked the Alpha hardware team to make the
Athlon.  It has also cherry picked the MIPS hardware team.

But the point I think I'm making, in an incredibly long winded fasion, is
that I don't think marketing can create opportunities.  Opportunities
exist, or they don't, irregardless.  I don't think the Alpha died and AMD
thrived because of marketing or the lack there of.  I think AMD was just
lucky (finally), and got an opportunity.  DEC was lucky to, in the past-
the PDP-1, PDP-8, PDP-11, and VAX all exploited opportunites.  They were
the computers DEC was built on.  It's just was someone else's turn to be
lucky.

Likewise, Intel and Microsoft didn't get to where they were solely by
their own efforts.  IBM fumbled the ball, and created the opportunity for
them to take over the monopoly.  Intel and Microsoft's fumbling are
providing opportunities for AMD and Linux, respectively.

Java fumbled the ball as well- and there's an opportunity laying there for
someone else to pick up- maybe Ocaml, maybe Python, maybe someone else.
As a business logic language, Java was a roaring successs- and did what no
other language has managed to do in 30 years, and finally actually kill
Cobol.  As an applications level language, it's been an abysmal failure,
especially as an open source applications language.  C++ is also entering
it's trough of disillusionment (hopefully never to return), opening up an
opportunity for some other language to move in.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian