[Ocaml-biz] The strategic future of OCaml for 2..4 years

Tony Edgin edgin at slingshot.co.nz
Wed Sep 8 04:58:37 PDT 2004

On Tue, 07 Sep 2004 23:28, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Tony Edgin wrote:
> > What are people's thoughts on this strategy?  We should also
> > put a time table
> > on this discussion.  How about after the end of next week
> > someone summarizes
> > the discussion into a strategy and we start implementing it?
>
> A bit too aggressive a time table, given all the possible points of
> discussion.  I think we need a smaller initial task than "the entire
> roadmap."  I also think we need the COCAN people on board.
> http://wiki.cocan.org  I am not sure that they're represented here.

As for the time table, I must admit that I'm a email list newbie.  What is a
reasonable time drop dead time for an initial strategy discussion?  I do know
that if one is not set, the discussion will finally peter out with no
resolution.

I may not have been clear.  I just want to decide on what needs to be done,
not do it.  For example, at this point, I don't think we should decide on
what tools are needed, just to decide on whether or not we need to decide
what tools are needed.  Is this more clear?  I just want us to come up with a
preliminary game plan.

Modified proposed preliminary game plan:

1)  In  parallel,
	a) Determine market
	b) Bring COCAN people on board if they aren't already a part of this mailing
list.
2)  Determine useful set of tools for an Ocaml toolbox for this market.
3)  Find existing best fit tools.
4)  In parallel,
	a) Aid tool owners by providing patches and enhancements which are aimed at
eventual integration into the Ocaml toolbox and ease of use.
	b) Develop INRIA-approved marketing materials such as logos and mascots.
	c) Bring potential initial project developers on board to develop substantial
apps.
5)  Publicize success stories.

How long should we take to decide on an actual game plan?  Let's decide that
first.

cheers,

--
Tony Edgin