[Ocaml-biz] limits, libraries, technical markets

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Thu Sep 9 15:02:33 PDT 2004

Brian Hurt wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> > Brian Hurt wrote:
> > > The string size limitation that got
> > > brought up today in the main list is an example of this-
> > > the guy was
> > > wanting to read the entire file into a string.
> >
> > Let's not chase markets where this commonly needs to be done.
>
> When does it ever *need* to be done?

You might ask the guy on caml-list who had the problem.  It's not *my*
problem, I have the 3D graphics, unboxing, 32-bit float, C FFI, and
Bigarray problems.

> > The 'street cred' of the language becomes
> > "Well, I had all this trouble!"
>
> "RTFM".

That's a kewl thing to say in the UNIX open source hacker world, but
businesses do not accept this attitude / stance about the usability of
languages in production environments.  Businesses don't wish to RTFM all
day long, they wish to get their products to market faster with fewer
headaches.

We need to pick markets that don't highlight OCaml's weaknesses.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur