[Ocaml-biz] limits, libraries, technical markets

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Fri Sep 10 09:53:39 PDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> > "RTFM".
>
> That's a kewl thing to say in the UNIX open source hacker world, but
> businesses do not accept this attitude / stance about the usability of
> languages in production environments.  Businesses don't wish to RTFM all
> day long, they wish to get their products to market faster with fewer
> headaches.

I find this humorous.  Or maybe depressing, depending.  First, RTFM is,
more often than not, the corporation's response when you call their tech
support (phrased more politely, granted, but the same idea- "We have an
extensive and well documented customer support site- have you tried
searching the site for the solution to your problem?").

More depressing, there is a general trend in the industry away from having
to learn anything.  "I'm too busy working to learn anything" comes the
wail from the programmers.  We can debate until the cows come home wether
this is actually true or not (IMHO, not), but consider for a moment- if
the programmers are unwilling to read a book to learn Ocaml, they won't
learn Ocaml.  Period.  Because you pretty much need to read a book to do
so.  Actually, you generally need to read 2-3 books to get really good at
a language.

mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
                                - Gene Spafford
Brian