[Ocaml-biz] IDEs

William D. Neumann wneumann at cs.unm.edu
Fri Sep 10 07:43:18 PDT 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>> Since you haven't the foggiest notion if that is even true
>> you should have said something more along the lines of "I will look
>> into the state of OCaml support for both emacs and vim, and I
>> will get back to you at a later time."
>
> You say tomato, I say tomato.

No, I think it's more along the lines of You say you know something and
will elaborate on it later, I say you know nothing and are trying to make
it seem as if you do.  But hey, it's just semantics, right...

> I agree that I don't have the expertise or
> mastery under any of these editors, to know which is superior or if
> they're all equal.

You barely even have *experience* with these editors, much less expertise
or mastery.

> I deliberately gloss over what little experience I do have.

And yet you expect others to take your words seriously on other subjects?
Your credibility has been impeached, at least in my eyes...

> This is a core issue.  Businesses are *NOT* interested in futzing (I'd
> use a different f-word, but I'll be polite) with this stuff.

And you know this how?  Because you walked into a company three months ago
and have thought about dinking with the corporate policies, but you just
couldn't find time to get around to it?

BTW:  I'm not being snarky here.  What experience do you have with
corporate culture.  Is it the same level of expertise you have with
editors/IDEs outside of Visual Studio, or have you actually worked in a
number of programming/engineering/research/financial/whatever type of
shops?  Why should we give your thoughts on the matter any more weight
than your thoughts on vim vs. emacs?

As to the original point, if you have a company with a standard COE (or
even just a standard directory hierarchy) it would take a monkey about
five minutes to write an install script to place the proper mode files in
the proper directories -- no futzing around necessary.

> When you industrialize something, you get rid of these problems.  If I
> have to spend a week figuring out which tool is better, it is *way* too
> long.

OK.  Then tell me in less than a week, what's better?  JBuilder, eclipse,
intelliJ, WebSphere, or JDeveloper.  These products, along with Java are
pretty well industrialized, wouldn't you say?

William D. Neumann

---

"Well I could be a genius, if I just put my mind to it.
And I...I could do anything, if only I could get 'round to it.
Oh we were brought up on the space-race, now they expect you to clean toilets.
When you've seen how big the world is, how can you make do with this?
If you want me, I'll be sleeping in - sleeping in throughout these glory days."

 	-- Jarvis Cocker

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.

 	-- Tony-A (some guy on /.)