[Ocaml-biz] What does a Showcase Project need to be?

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Sat Sep 11 11:05:04 PDT 2004

We have this idea of putting together a toolbox so that 'Showcase
Projects' get written for a given market.  Generally speaking, we have a
hand-wavy idea that these 'Showcase Projects' will somehow increase
OCaml's popularity.  But, we haven't really defined what these Showcases
do, or what exactly they need to be.  Do they need to be open sourced?
Do they need to be licensed in a particular way?  Do they need to be
'killer apps' ?  Do they need to be under our personal control, so that
we ourselves can promote them?  If they're driven by somebody else, what
kinds of characteristics must the driving organization have?

Showcasing must have a strategy behind it.  We need to define this
strategy much better than we have.

We need to start by evaluating all the entries at the list of
Significant Applications.